For a long time Lewes, DE, was one of America’s best kept secrets. Home to just 2,800 year-round residents, the town nonetheless boasts some of the best resort cottages and beach homes in the country. But many of those visitors get the urge to stay, and want to know if it’s a good place to move to. The answer is yes! So, why move to Lewes, DE? Here are the top five reasons:
1. It’s like an American dream town – When people first come to Lewes, DE, their initial reaction is often one of mild shock. It’s hard to believe that such a picturesque, friendly town can exist anywhere outside of a movie set. Lewes features beautiful brick buildings, streets lined with mature trees, tidy houses, and white picket fences. It’s everything that we think of when we picture a classic American town, but it’s managed to maintain that charm into the 21st century, even while staying progressive and on top of modern trends. Lewes has the vibe of a small town and the excitement of a strong, modern community.
2. Natural beauty – One of the top reasons why people move to Lewes, DE, is the natural surroundings. Located on Cape Henlopen where the Delaware Bay meets the Atlantic Ocean, Lewes is home to some of the most spectacular views of the Mid-Atlantic. Just minutes from Cape Henlopen State Park, Lewes has ready access to hiking trails, camping, fishing, and some of the most spectacular bird sanctuaries on the east coast.
3. It’s walkable – Downtown Lewes, DE, is designed like an old-fashioned walkable town center. The Historic District has many shops, museums, restaurants and cafes, inns, and friendly faces. Getting around is easy.
4. Beaches – Of course, beaches are perhaps the number one reason that so many people want to move to Lewes, DE. With both the Bay and the ocean, Lewes has miles of sandy beaches and one side or the other is almost always sheltered from the wind. The result is that Lewes has some of the most reliable beach weather of anywhere in the mid-Atlantic and locals have no problems finding somewhere quiet even during tourist season. It’s truly some of the best coastline in the United States.
5. History – Founded in 1631, Lewes is fast approaching its 400th anniversary. In those four centuries, Lewes, DE has been a British colonial town, an American Revolutionary town, and now one of the safest and most enjoyable towns in America. The history shows in the amazing architecture and the many local legends.
Are you thinking of moving to Lewes, DE? What draws you here?